Sunday, October 2, 2011

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner

Race Diary: Jamesers 5K

Date: 09/27/2011
Distance: 3.1 Miles
Pace: 9:16/mile
Song that got me started: "Get Ready 4 This" by 2 Unlimited
---Yes this is from a Jock Jams CD...I am THAT old. 
Song that got me through the wall: HAHAHA, no wall today.
Song that brought me home: "Bad Boys'" by Inner Circle



So, I won my age division. Let me repeat that; JD, massive shoulders guy, who proudly proclaims himself to be "not very fast" won his age division. I wish that meant I was back to running the times I ran in HS, a good ole' 21 minute 5k. Truthfully, this win was more of a result of this run being mostly full of walkers and it being first time event.Let me reiterate that to my knowledge, I hav never placed first in anything run related. Now throw me in a coney dog eating contest...yummy. However, I will still pride myself on a good race, my fastest 5K in the "modern" JD running era.

This was also a great run for two other reasons. The first was that The Wife and CE were along for the ride. They were troopers and stuck it out, even though start time temps were in the mid 40's with a nice stiff 25 MPH wind blowing. Please note that there was only one other person brave...errr stupid enough to run this in a t-shirt and shorts. It was chilly. There really is nothing better then running knowing that your wife and kid are there waiting for you at the end of the run. It really gives you that motivation to kick it in that extra gear down the stretch. Secondly, this run benefited a great organization, Kaleidoscope Kids, who provide end of life hospice care to kids and their families. This being a first time event, they still attracted over 100 participants and raised over $2500 for Kaleidoscope Kids.

This was my last race before the Detroit Half, which is coming up on the 16th (so soon!) I am continuing my training through this week with the "LONG" run coming up this Saturday,. I am still deciding on whether to do 10 or 12 miles. I suppose it will be a game time decision. Anyone out there looking for some LSD (long, slow, distance, get your mind out of the gutter), just let me know!

-JD

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, dude, CONGRATULATIONS! First place! That is awesome. We won't concern ourselves with details other than first place ;-) Really, when the event is raising funds for such a worthy cause, what matters most is that they had a good turn-out. But now you do get to tell people that James won the Jamesers race, which is pretty cool.

    Eee, I'm so excited for your half! Good luck. I know that game-day feeling you mention--it's tempting both to taper (run 10 miles) and to get close to race distance (run 12 miles).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rosiecat! I was completely taken by surprise. I knew I got a fast start, and the first mile chimed in at 9:03. The key was just keeping up the pace, and it turns out I ran almost identical 2nd and 3rd miles. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no need to qualify your achievement by saying it was mostly walkers and a first time event. Like how a football team can only play the teams that are on their schedule you can only run against the other runners that are there. So taking first place in your age group is an unqualified success. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete