Tuesday, December 6, 2011

6 Miles, Drizzle, and a Man Crazier Then I

Date: 12/04/11
Route:  Hines Park 6 Miler
Distance: 6 Miles
Pace: 10:31/Mile
Running Temp: 46
Song I could not get out of my head: "Lose Yourself" by Selected of God Choir (orig. Eminem)


I somehow drag myself, and I mean drag myself away from my nice warm cozy bed (napping was calling to me again), and convince my body to go out for 6 miles. For December, it was a relatively balmy 46 degrees outside. The only problem was that it was drizzling out. Not a steady rain, but enough that if I were going to be outside for an hour I WAS going to get wet. I had on long sleeves and a pair of those flimsy throw away gloves, but other then that just normal running gear. I thought I was being hardcore....46 and rainy, that makes me some kind of ancient warrior or something...right?

So as I am cruising along in Hines Park, being my warrior self by deftly dodging around the puddles, and starting to get the drip drip of freezing water running off my hair onto my neck, I hear a noise. I turn over my shoulder, to see someone running, and I mean really running, not my nice jogging pace. He is quickly gaining on me, and I kid you not, he has on those tiny running shorts and a tank top. This guy looks like he just finished a Tough Mudder, and decided a nice 10 miler would be a good cool down. He had mud caked up his legs as he flew past me. Mumbling a "hi" as he deftly went around me and THROUGH a giant puddle. He was smiling the entire time.

It made me happy to see someone out enjoying the warmth, it is really not often that you get 46 degrees in December here in the Mitten. By the end of the run, I was very wet, and also was smiling. I am looking forward to running outside this winter, it should be a challenge, but rewarding in its own right. I can't wait to run in a snowstorm!

Check out the video above, it is a really sweet remake of an iconic Detroit song.

--JD

2 comments:

  1. I gotta figure out your running path and blaze by you once just to make it into one of these blogs :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, You are welcome to join me on a weekend afternoon run. You are just going to have to slow down your normally speedy self :)

    ReplyDelete