Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In The Middle of the Holiday Madness

Date: 12/23/11
Route:  Hines Park 6 Miler
Distance: 6.41 Miles
Pace: 10:31/Mile
Running Temp: 27 (First run of the season not in shorts)


 Date: 12/26/11
Route:  Reverse Hines Park 4 Miler to meet CE and Wife at a Park
Distance: 2.71 Miles
Pace: 9.43/mile
Running Temp: 45 (Back to shorts)

Amongst the madness of the holiday scheduling, I was hoping to cram in a couple of runs with my good friend and dislocated Michigander, Rosiecat. Somehow she has sauntered off to the alluring warmth of Texas for the past few years, so I was hoping to reintroduce her to some chilly Michigan runs while she was in town for the holidays.

We had a chance to run on the 23rd and the weather lived up the the almost Christmas expectations I had laid out. Regrettably, I put on pants for the first time this season, as the temp was about 27 degrees, a little below 20 with wind chill. After getting all geared up we were out the door and flying down into Hines Park. It is amazing how nice it is to have some conversation while running.  If you want a brief primer, check out my description of running conversations here. It was perfect winter weather for a run, and about halfway though, the sun came out and we were able to amble by some great scenery together with the sun shining and conversation flowing.

We even ran a little farther then promised, coming in at 6.41 miles, running part of what is usually my cool down. I think when it is 27 you do not want to have a .75 mile cool down. I have a feeling in January, my cooldown is going to be laps in my basement.

On the day after Christmas, we had a chance to do a short run, meeting up with CE and The Wife at a park. They decided to take CE's shiny new Radio Flyer (thanks Grandma and Grandpa D.) out for a spin since the weather was so nice. It was back in shorts for me, no gloves, with the temp being so high. Rosie being the Olympic sprinter that she is, set a bristling pace of 9:43 a mile and proceeded to actually be able to carry a conversation at this speed. I am pretty sure I just mumbled "yup" between gasping for breath.

It was really fun to meet up with CE and The Wife at the park, kind of gives you motivation to run. So thanks to Rosie for putting up with my weird route running and mumbling conversation. I promise to eventually get down to Texas to run with you.....just not in July,.

There was also much rejoicing as JD received 22 GU's for Christmas (mmmmmmmm....glucose polymers), a couple of pair of excellent running socks, a sexy New Balance cold weather jacket (no need really, apparently Michigan is going to have a winter like Tennessee or something), and a sweet water bottle. Full equipment reports to follow after extensive field testing.

I also have a race coming up, the Belle Isle New Years Eve 5k, my last one of 2011, or my first one of 2012, depending on how you look at it. I should be running with some friends, so I am sure a good time will be had by all,. Lots of exciting things going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment